Friday 28 September 2012

Does John 8:58 really prove that Jesus Divinity?

Does John 8:58 really prove that Jesus Divinity?

Does John 8:58 really prove that Jesus Divinity?

Bismillah Hir Rehman Ir Raheem
Start In the Name Of Allah The Most Beneficent The Most Merciful

Like us on facebook:

Some Christian claim Jesus Divinity through John 8:58 and then support it by Exodus 3:14. Does this really prove his Divine Nature?

1- Mistranslation of Exodus 3:14
2- Was answer of Jesus compatible to the Jews question?
3- Mistranslation of John 8:58

1- Mistranslation of Exodus 3:14

Particularly the translation you will find of Exodus 3:14 in different Bible is

God replied to Moses, "I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you."

However, the Hebrew words for Exodus 3:14 is

יֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים אֶל־מֹשֶׁה אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה וַיֹּאמֶר כֹּה תֹאמַר לִבְנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל אֶהְיֶה שְׁלָחַנִי אֲלֵיכֶם

If you correctly translate it into English then the correct translation is

"God said to the - Moses whoever I was and said so tell the people of Israel will be sent me to you"
Other Bible is also transalated as "I will be who I will be"

Source for HebrewBible : http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%203:14&version=WLC
Source = http://translate.google.com/

2-Was answer of Jesus compatible to the Jews question?

Picking a verse from the whole context to justify your claim is not veracious. You should read the whole context to see what is really happening.

The Context Goes Like this:
John 8
51 I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death."
52 At this the Jews exclaimed, "Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death.
53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"
54 Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me.
55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word.
56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."
57 "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham?
58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am (I have seen Abraham before he was even born)!"

Some points to be noted here:

1- Jesus confimred that Abraham was rejoicing after seeing Jesus's days and was glad
2- Jesus was one of the offspring of Abraham and he was his father
3- The Important point is Jews asked "Have You SEEN ABRAHAM?" And in the answer Jesus must have replied "I have seen Abraham before he was Born" instead of "I am"(See Confirmation Below)

3- Mistranslation of Verse John 8:58

Commonly in Bible we see

New American Standard Bible (NASB ©1995)
— Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”

However, this verse too is manipulated to prove Jesus divinity. The words after translation are either "I was" or "I have"
For Example an old Bible used the correct translation that is "I was"

James Murdock Peshitta-Aramaic NT (1852)
— Jesus said to them: Verily, verily I say to you, That before Abraham existed, I was.

Moreover, Older Bible use different and more authentic translation that is why some translation render it differently. For example,

An American Translation reads. "I existed before Abraham was born!",
Moffatt, "I have existed before Abraham was born",
Sacred Bible, "Before Abraham existed, I was existing",
The New Testament, "Jesus said to them, 'I tell you, I existed before Abraham was born!",
The Four Gospels According the the Sinaitic Palimpsest, "He said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I have been.",
The Twentieth Century New Testament, "Believe me 'Jesus replied, 'before Abraham was born I was already what I am.",
The Modern New Testament, "Jesus said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you, Before Abraham was born, I was.",
The Syriac New Testament, "Jesus said to them: Verily, verily, I say to you, That before Abraham existed, I was."

In Exodus 3:14 God was using this as a title and name to be used against the Egyptians. A Bible scholar Dr. J.H. Hertz said that in that phrase 'I am that I am' the main emphasis in on the active manifestation of God's Divine existence. He said that God was about to show himself in behalf of his people in great and wonderful way. He said that "I will be what I will be" is also an approved rendering.

The footnote to the NASB Bible agrees and says, "1.14 Or I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE".
When Jesus used the phrase he was not using it as a name or title. He was only explaining his pre-human existence. Thus in harmony with the above, the NWT (New World Translation) correctly translates that verse as: "Jesus said to them: "Most truly I say to you Before Abraham came into existence, I have been."

Also Read :

Did Jesus said "I Have" or "I Am"
Commentary on four Gospel
John 1:1 the Biggest lie to prove trinity
Different Sons and gods of Bible
Bible god knows Everything but not Something

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts